casket at funeral
Sarah Biren
Sarah Biren
May 11, 2024 ·  4 min read

Mother Issues Urgent Warning to Parents About ‘Chroming’ After Daughter Collapses

There are many unsafe challenges circulating social media. Some are unique, like the sunburn art challenge, but some began long before the internet. For example, the chroming trend is a re-packaged version of inhalant abuse. It’s also called “huffing” or “whippits.” It involves inhaling toxic chemicals from household products, like aerosol cans or cleaning supplies, to feel high. Not only is this trend incredibly dangerous, one mom warns, but it could also be fatal.

Chroming: A Dangerous Social Media Trend

Photo: Mikayla Solomon

Mikayla Solomon feared for her daughter’s life after she became “violently ill” after chroming. Twelve-year-old Teigan and her friend inhaled “five or six” aerosol cans after hearing about the trend on social media. Solomon took her daughter to the hospital when she complained of dizziness and heart palpitations hours after “chroming.”

I just feel so grateful it wasn’t worse,” said Solomon. “She could’ve easily gone into cardiac arrest. I could’ve easily lost my daughter that day.”

Read More: Woman Sends Chilling Warning About Facebook MarketPlace After Trying to Sell Clothes

She Could’ve Died”

Photo: Mikayla Solomon

However, the doctors cleared Teigan and sent her home. But she continued experiencing symptoms including wheezing and vomiting for twelve days after the incident. 

“I am concerned about long-term damage,” said the mom. “I’ve read things like it can cause cognitive impairment and memory loss.”

So she warns other parents about this dangerous trend. Teigan had said she and her friend tried chroming for a laugh and “didn’t really think about the consequences.”

She’s 12 so she shouldn’t really be on [social media] but all their friends are so they’re going to see these trends but [the platforms] need to crack down on it,” said Solomon. “Social media influences our children so much. Parents need to know the dangers.”

Lonely woman sleepless chat play game or use social media mobile app with smartphone in the dark late night on the bed while self quarantine and stay home
Credit: Shutterstock

Tragically, the chroming challenge has a body count. In March, eleven-year-old Tommie-Lee Gracie Billington from the U.K. died after participating in the trend. And in 2023, 13-year-old Esra Haynes from Australia passed away after huffing deodorant.

Read More: Single Dad Follows Through With Threat of Cutting 7-Year-Old Girl’s Hair After Warning Her To Care for It

The Negative Effects of Chroming

Credit: Shutterstock

While most kids are taught to “say no to drugs,” they may not associate substance abuse with household items like paint, permanent markers, and hairspray. Despite being commonplace, these items can be extremely dangerous when inhaled. They can create a “depressant or relaxant” state for the brain, which can lead to a high. Other symptoms include dizziness, hallucinations, heart palpitations, nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, chest pain, blackouts, and loss of body control. 

Products with propane or butane can cause immediate death by cutting off oxygen to the brain. But other products can seriously damage the brain and cause long-term issues like memory problems, learning deficits, psychiatric disorders, and addiction.

Read More: ‘Vampire Woman’ Adorned With Tattoos and Body Modifications Issues a Warning to Those Getting Inked

Talking About Chroming With Your Children

close up of an aerosol can nozzle
Photo: Shutterstock

The chroming trend inspires many important discussions for parents to have with their children. For one, the dangers of social media and its peer pressure. Parents should also teach the safe way to handle toxic products, such as opening windows when using paint and spraying hairspray away from the face. 

Additionally, chroming can become addictive, like with any other substance, causing a dependency on the high. Plus, it’s easier to hide inhalant abuse compared to other drugs because of how innocent the products may seem. Some people may believe chroming is “safer” than misusing street or prescription drugs but this is not the case. 

If an individual collapses or is unresponsive, has a seizure, has abnormal breathing, or cannot be awakened, call 911 right away,” says Kelly Johnson-Arbor, M.D., FACEP, FUHM, FACMT, a medical toxicologist, co-medical director and interim executive director of the National Capital Poison Center. “For other signs and symptoms that occur after chroming, contact Poison Control. There are two ways to contact Poison Control: online or by phone at 1-800-222-1222. Both options are free, confidential, and available 24 hours a day.”

Read More: Chroming: Social media trend of inhaling toxic chemicals to get high takes teen girl’s life


  1. Gina Kalsi. “Mother issues urgent warning to parents about ‘chroming’ social media challenge after her daughter collapsed from inhaling 6 aerosol cans – after boy, 11, died.Daily Mail. April 15, 2024
  2. Mitchell Consky. “11-year-old U.K. boy dies after trying dangerous TikTok trend.” CTV News. March 11, 2024
  3. Alani Vargas. “What Is ‘Chroming’? Parents Are Pleading for Greater Awareness About This Fatal Trend.Parade. August 28, 2023
  4. Beth Ann Mayer. “What is Chroming? The Latest Social Media Trend Parents Need to Know About.” Parents. June 5, 2023