A woman from the United Kingdom has recently issued an urgent warning on TikTok after she discovered a fishy smell in her home. The TikTok user, who goes by the username @mrsclaudiaanderson, explained how she and her husband had noticed an odd odor emanating from her bedroom for several weeks. It was then that she discovered what the cause of that fishy smell was that she realized how in-danger her family was.
Woman On TikTok Issues Warning About A Fishy Smell In Her Home
Recently, Claudia Anderson took to TikTok to share with her followers a dangerous situation that she and her family had nearly avoided: A terrible electrical fire. She says that she and her husband began to notice a fishy smell in their home, specifically in their bedroom, for several weeks. No matter what they did, however, they couldn’t get rid of the smell. She explained that they didn’t want to tell anyone about it because they felt embarrassed. They instead decided that maybe it was coming for their ensuite bathroom and thought they out to do a deep clean.
“So we took out the U bend from the sink, made sure the toilet was super clean, cleaned the plug hole in the shower… everything,” she said. “But the smell still lingered.” (1)
Google To The Rescue
It was after their bathroom deep clean that Claudia decided to google “fishy smell in home” to see if the internet could help her. She found her potential answer, and it was one that she had no idea about previously. According to Google, it could be a serious electrical problem.
“So I messaged my brother-in-law who’s an electrician, and he said, ‘yeah, that’s probably something you should get checked out.’,” she recalled. “So I called my father-in-law, who also used to be an electrician, and he came around this morning and had a look.”
Sure enough, they had a dangerous situation lurking behind one of their bedroom sockets. This specific bedroom socket was one that was next to the bathroom, which was why they were led astray, thinking that perhaps it could be there. Thankfully, they realized the issue in time.
“There was a wire that had become disconnected, and I don’t know if you can see but it was actually melting the plastic on the inside of the socket,” she explained in the video, pointing out the socket. “We were so, so lucky that we caught it before that burst into flames.”
Hoping To Help Others
Claudia shared her story on TikTok in hopes that it would raise awareness among other homeowners to check their electrical outlets and sockets regularly. This is especially if you notice a fishy smell that won’t go away. You might think the fishy smell is just a weird smell, but it’s not. It could set on fire, putting your whole family in danger.
@mrsclaudiaanderson Fishy smell in your bedroom? CALL AN ELECTRICIAN!!! #fishysmell #fishysmellinbedroom #electrician #sparky #callanelectrician #firehazard #electricalemergency #bedroom #bedroommakeover #ensuite #fire #firesafety ♬ original sound – Claudia Anderson
Check Your Sockets
This incident highlights the importance of monitoring household electrical outlets and sockets for signs of damage or malfunction, as they could lead to potentially hazardous situations such as electrical fires or electrocution. If you suspect that you may have electrical problems, there are several steps you can take (2, 3):
- Conduct a visual inspection: Take a look at all your electrical outlets and sockets to see if there are any burn marks, cracks, or signs of damage. Replace any damaged outlets or seek professional help if needed.
- Check for strange odors and sounds: If you notice a fishy or burning smell coming from an outlet or a strange buzzing or crackling sound, it could indicate an issue with the wiring. Do not ignore these warning signs and seek professional help immediately.
- Avoid overloading outlets: Do not overload outlets with too many plugs or high-wattage devices. This can lead to overheating and potentially cause a fire.
- Hire a licensed electrician: If you are unsure about the safety of your electrical systems or have any concerns, hire a licensed and qualified electrician to inspect your home. They can help identify and fix any electrical problems before they become dangerous.
Claudia’s warning on TikTok serves as a timely reminder for all homeowners to pay attention to their electrical outlets and sockets regularly. Electrical problems can put one’s life at risk, and it’s important to stay vigilant in ensuring the safety of your household.
Keep Reading: ‘Don’t put a towel on kid’s shoulders’: Swimming instructor reminds parents of important pool safety tip
- “What to do if you notice fishy smell in your home – as it could be electrical fault.” Daily Record. Reem Ahmed and Lucy Farrell. May 4, 2022.
- “Beware Of The Fishy Smell In Your Home!” My Trusted Expert