family home ablaze

Toddler Saves Family From Deadly House Fire Parents Couldn’t Smell

If you have had Covid, you may have had symptoms such as lack of taste and lack of smell. A family in Texas narrowly missed being engulfed in a house fire from not being able to smell while recovering from COVID-19. Thanks to their toddler, the family managed to survive. The little boy is now being hailed a hero, after saving his family.

Advertisement
Little hero Brandon Dahl pictured with his dad, Nathan.
WFAA

Little Boy Saves Entire Family

Nathan and Kayla Dahl and their five children were able to escape their home thanks to their two-year-old son, Brandon. A fire had started in the middle of the night, and only little Brandon could smell the smoke. Apparently, none of the house’s smoke detectors had gone off either.

Advertisement

Brandon thankfully managed to wake his parents up at around 4.30am. “He tapped me on my feet in bed and was coughing and saying, “Mama, hot. Mama, hot, I turned around. I looked and all I saw was flames in the doorway.’

Nathan Dahl volunteer firefighter
Nathan Dahl

His mom, Kayla also says that “He saved our entire family. I mean, he’s our little mini hero.

According to Nathan: “We had brand new, less than a year old, smoke alarms in our house. None of them went off. We had seconds, i’s nothing short of a miracle.

Advertisement
fire
Just before 5:00am on January 15 Decatur Fire Tanker 115 and Chief 115 responded to a reported structure fire on Woody Street in the City of Alvord. via Facebook

Read: 8-Year-Old Living In A Shed With His Family Invests Mom’s Last $12 To Change Family’s Fortune

Advertisement

Family Loses Home, Cars

Nathan Dahl is also a volunteer fire fighter with the Alvord Fire Department, says he had an exit plan, thankfully. “We’ve had a plan. This is how everything’s going to go.

Little two-year-old Brandon had fallen asleep in the living room where a gas heater was the likely cause of the blaze. He managed to get to his parent’s bedroom and woke them up while coughing at around 4.30 am.

Advertisement
The Jan. 15 fire completely leveled the family's home.
WFAA

Kayla Dahl said. “I just saw the flames coming out of our living room and into our bedroom” Nathan recalls thinking that his wife was screaming ‘fire’ because he was called to duty, not because his own home was the one in flames! : “She’s screaming, ‘Fire! Fire! Fire! My initial thought was, ‘OK, I’m going to get up and I’m going to get to work.’”

I think it’s safe to say that little Brandon is a true hero and thankfully he, and his nose, were there to save his family!

Trending Now

Gay Dads Adopt 6 Siblings That Had Spend Almost 5 Years In Foster Care
Gay Dads Adopt 6 Siblings That Had Spend Almost 5 Years In Foster Care
Man bravely dives 25 feet off a bridge to save toddler thrown from car...
Man bravely dives 25 feet off a bridge to save toddler thrown from car...
49-Year-Old Mom Adopts a Child, Gets Called 'Selfish' and Told She's T...
49-Year-Old Mom Adopts a Child, Gets Called 'Selfish' and Told She's T...
Mom living in tent with baby, toddler and husband: ‘Don't know what ...
Mom living in tent with baby, toddler and husband: ‘Don't know what ...
A Kindergarten Boy Invited His Entire Class to His Adoption and My Hea...
A Kindergarten Boy Invited His Entire Class to His Adoption and My Hea...
Henry Winkler Swore Not to Repeat His Parents' Mistakes While Raising ...
Henry Winkler Swore Not to Repeat His Parents' Mistakes While Raising ...
"Her eyes were huge, her skull was misshapen": Mother describes first ...
My Mother-in-Law Expects to Be Paid for Spending Time With Her Grandch...
My Mother-in-Law Expects to Be Paid for Spending Time With Her Grandch...
Mom delivers twin girls with matching snow-white hair, and their unusu...
Mom delivers twin girls with matching snow-white hair, and their unusu...
Girl Begs to Skip School to Stay Home with Dad, Sees Him on the Floor ...
Girl Begs to Skip School to Stay Home with Dad, Sees Him on the Floor ...
Frustrated Mom Speaks Out After Being Unable To Enroll Son In School D...
Frustrated Mom Speaks Out After Being Unable To Enroll Son In School D...
Mom Shuts Down 14-Year-Old Daughter’s Social Media Accounts With 1.7...
Mom Shuts Down 14-Year-Old Daughter’s Social Media Accounts With 1.7...
Advertisement

Keep Reading: Boy, 5, Ran to Neighbor’s House with Infant Sister to Ask for Help After Mom Suffers Seizure in Shower

Advertisement

Sources

Advertisement
  1. Parents couldn’t smell smoke when their house caught fire. Their 2-year-old saved them.” USA Today. Carly Stern. January 27, 2022.
  2. “‘It’s nothing short of a miracle’ | Texas toddler wakes up parents, saves family from fire.WFAA. Jay Wallis. January 25, 2022.
Jade Small
Freelance Writer
Jade is a freelance writer and content creator from South Africa with over 7 years experience writing and creating. She's also a proud single mom to a super 13 year old boy.
Advertisement